Floods are one of the most destructive forces of nature and cause serious damage to neighborhoods and homes caught in their path. From structural damage to rot and mold problems, basements are often the worst hit in these situations. Fortunately, New Jersey waterproofing and mold remediation specialists have some helpful advice for anyone restoring their home after a flood:
- Turn off your power as soon as possible – electrocution is a real risk in flooded homes. Never go into a flooded basement until your home’s electrical meter has been removed by a licensed electrician or the utility company, as this is the only way to ensure the house is completely off the grid.
- Check to see if there is structural damage. It is best to seek out the advice of a basement foundation repair contractor to evaluate and fix any damage, keeping your home safe and structurally sound.
- It is important to remove the trapped water from the basement. You can use a vacuum or pump – both of which your local waterproofing experts should have available. Wet items should be sufficiently aired to ensure mold, fungus or mildew cannot grow on or inside them.
- Use fans to speed up the drying process and apply disinfectant to all surfaces. Mold is the biggest health risk after a flood and you need to do whatever is possible to control it.
- Lowering the humidity will also speed up the drying process, so make use of a powerful dehumidifier. A lower humidity moisture level will also stop mold before it has a chance to grow.
Preventative waterproofing measures you can take to avoid flood damage
At Bonded Waterproofing, we have 30 years of experience in the waterproofing, basement repair and mold removal industry and can offer you solutions that are affordable as well as long-lasting.
Professional basement waterproofing can involve a variety of services, including concrete waterproofing, sump pump installation, foundation waterproofing, repairing cracks in walls and floors and sealing your basement against moisture. All of these processes won’t be able to stop a flood in action but will be able to protect your building from groundwater and mild flood damage. Contact us at Bonded Waterproofing to get a free estimate today.