The quality of the air inside your home can affect your health, especially if excess moisture is promoting the growth of dangerous molds and fungi. Installing a high quality dehumidifier will help control this issue, making the air comfortable and healthy to breathe for the whole family.
Essentially, dehumidifiers take excess water vapor – generally considered to be anything over about 50% humidity – out of the air in your home without changing the temperature of the air. It does this by processing the air in a three-step process:
- A fan draws air into the dehumidifier.
- The air inside the machine passes over the compressor cooling coils, causing condensation (Similar to the condensation that forms on the outside of a cold soda can on a warm day). This moisture collects on the coils and drips into a collection reservoir or, if the dehumidifier is a fixed unit, is passed out of the house through drains.
- The air is reheated and passed out of the machine, back into the room.
Advanced home dehumidifiers also have a humidistat, so that you can set the most comfortable level of humidity for your home.
Signs that your home’s air quality is not as good as it should be
If you are unsure whether or not a dehumidifier is necessary in your home, have a look for the following indicators that your house is suffering from excess moisture:
- Your home feels stuffy.
- There is a musty smell in a room/rooms.
- You are finding a lot of household pests, like silverfish and centipedes indoors.
- There is mold or fungus in your basement or other rooms.
- You often have condensation forming on your windows, walls and doors.
- Your walls have structural damp issues – peeling paint, rotting wood, bubbling plaster, etc.
At Bonded Waterproofing Systems, we have more than 30 years’ experience in assisting New Jersey homeowners with dehumidifier installation, service and maintenance. We also provide basement waterproofing, sump pump installation and mold remediation services. If you would like to find out more about these products or would like a free estimate on installing a dehumidifier, please visit our website at bondedwaterproofing.com today.