A properly finished basement is an asset to any home, but it has to be done right in order to become the functional and useful space that you and your family can enjoy. Here are some tips from basement waterproofing specialists in Bergen County, NJ.
1. Make sure it stays dry: Because they are underground, basements are more likely to suffer from moisture problems, including leaks, mold and flooding. It’s important that it is properly evaluated and waterproofed before you finish it off, not only to create a comfortable space but also to ensure that your home’s structure isn’t at risk.
2. Codes and regulations: Often, permits are required for certain basement renovations, so be sure to check with your local authorities to ensure that you have permission to go ahead with your remodel. This is especially important if you are planning any plumbing or electrical work.
3. Invest in vapor barriers: To ensure that your basement stays warm and dry after it has been waterproofed, it may be advisable in some homes to install vapor barriers to prevent any additional dampness.
4. Insulation: Installing up-to-code insulation with a vapor barrier on either side is highly recommended for keeping your basement warm and properly temperature controlled, as well as dampening any sound from outside.
5. Leave your utility space unfinished: Housing for your HVAC unit, sump pump and water heater should be left waterproofed but clear and unfinished. These spaces have specific code requirements for how they need to be spaced, and they also need to remain clear and exposed for inspection and repair purposes.
Free basement waterproofing evaluation for your NJ home
At Bonded Waterproofing, a family business in NJ serving the tristate area, we offer home and business owners high-quality, affordable basement repair and waterproofing services at an affordable rate. Our inspectors can visit your property and perform a free, no obligation Water Egress Analysis to evaluate the condition of your basement and recommend effective solutions.
If you choose us to manage your home’s waterproofing solution but are concerned about the cost involved, we’re also happy to offer interest-free financing and a lifetime warranty to go with the fairest pricing model in the industry.