Spring is on its way and for many people this means it’s time to break out the allergy medication and the Kleenex. However, it’s important you determine whether your sneezes are really allergy-related or due to dangerous mold spores growing in your basement. Here are some signs to look for:
- Smell – Do you notice a musty, pungent odor in your basement that just won’t go away? This is a strong indicator of mold in your home. While it can be easy to spot mold with a quick look around, it often grows in narrow spaces, inside walls and behind wallpaper, so you can have an outbreak even if you can’t see it.
- Growth – Mold is often found in dark spaces where it’s warm and moisture is present, making basements the ideal environment. It often looks like a black, white or green powdery substance. Look for the presence of moisture and be sure to check in cupboards and behind appliances. It’s a good idea to wear a mask over your face while you do this, as mold spores can irritate your lungs. If you see any signs of black mold, stay far away from it, as this is a very toxic mold.
- Your health – The health of you and your family can be a strong indicator of mold problems in your home. Allergy symptoms like watery eyes and difficulty breathing comfortably can be triggered by mold spores in the air. It’s very important to call in specialists if you or other family members are experiencing these health issues at home, as they can trigger respiratory health issues and cause serious health problems.
Mold isn’t just unsightly – it can be hazardous to your health
If you suspect your home has a mold problem, call Bonded Waterproofing Systems’ professional mold remediation specialists right away. Our experts will conduct a thorough investigation with minimal disruption to your home. Our mold removal and treatment solution isn’t just effective, it’s also very affordable.