Mold is a common problem faced by New Jersey home and business owners – a problem that can cause structural and health issues, as well as leave an unpleasant smell in your property. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent mold infestations:
- Stop leaks quickly: Moisture is vital to mold growth, so fixing leaks and other sources of excess moisture as soon as they appear is the best way to keep your property mold-free. If flooding has occurred, be sure to clean up and dry out your home within 24 to 48 hours to reduce the risk of mold growth.
- Low indoor humidity: Humid air makes it easy for molds to breed, so keeping your home at a humidity level of below 60% is ideal. Inexpensive humidity meters can help you track your home’s relative humidity and, if it is too high, installing a dehumidification system is an affordable and highly effective option. Bonded Waterproofing sells and installs Dehumidification systems that are among the finest in the industry and that are built to perform and last.
- Sloping grounds: Your yard and grounds should always slope away from the building’s foundations in order to carry water away from the structure, otherwise it will pool against your property, creating an ideal environment for molds as well as a high risk of leaks, structural damage to your foundations and damp in your building.
- Vent outside: To help keep humidity low, clothes dryers and heating systems should always vent outside your building as they produce significant amounts of water vapor.
- Fresh air: Allowing fresh air to move through your home will help dry it out, so be sure to use a bathroom fan or open windows after the bathroom has been used, when running dishwashers or clothes dryers, etc.
- Insulate: Covering cold pipes with proper insulation will help to prevent condensation, keeping them dry and mold-free.
- Clean roof gutters: Leaking roofs and gutters filled with decaying leaves and debris are environments that are often the cause of mold outbreaks. It’s best to have your gutters checked at least once a year to keep them in good repair. They can be cleaned out a few times a year with special emphasis on regular sweep outs during the fall months.
Mold Inspections will Keep your Home Hygienic and Structurally Sound
If you suspect your home has a mold problem or would simply like to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your home is mold-free, it’s best to bring experienced professionals in to do a complete evaluation. At Bonded Waterproofing Systems, we have over 30 years of experience in the industry and, as a leader amongst local companies, we know just what to look for. Our teams will help uncover any sources of mold, check hard-to-reach places and suggest affordable, lasting solutions if required.