The rainy season is here and the last thing any homeowner wants is their sump pump to start failing. Here are some common causes behind a sump pump’s failure – and what to do about them – from our basement waterproofing team in Essex County, NJ.
- Power failure: An electrical power outage will stop your sump pump in its tracks – but it’s a fairly easy issue to prevent, either by installing a back-up battery or a generator that will provide a reliable source of energy. Power outages can also mean power surges, which can damage some components of your sump pump, so it’s a good idea to also install a service entrance surge protection device.
- Old age: Like any piece of equipment, the chances of failure increase with age. The lifespan of a sump pump is around 10 years, so if yours is over this limit, it’s probably a good time for an upgrade.
- Incorrect size: A sump pump that’s too big or small for your home’s size will be under a lot of strain, which can result in failures. A professional can give you an accurate assessment of your home’s needs and recommend a piece of equipment that’s right.
- Lack of maintenance: With so much work to do to maintain a home, the sump pump often gets forgotten about – until it’s needed. Regular maintenance, including cleaning the pump at regular intervals 3-4 times a year and checking for line blockages, will help keep it in working condition and prevent expensive repairs.
- Stuck switches: Sump pumps can shift in the basin, jamming the float that administers the switch and causing it to get stuck. During your regular maintenance, check the pump’s position and adjust it to prevent a stuck switch.
Ensure Your Sump Pump and Basement Waterproofing is Up to The Task This Storm Season
Bonded Waterproofing is a family-owned business serving the tristate area specializing in affordable, high quality basement waterproofing services. From basement repairs, mold removal and leak detection to sump pump installation, repairs and maintenance, we do it all.
If you do choose us to manage your home’s waterproofing solution but are concerned about the cost involved, we’re also happy to offer interest-free financing and a lifetime warranty to go with the fairest pricing model in the industry.
For more information on our basement waterproofing services in Essex County, NJ, please contact us or visit our website at http://bondedwaterproofing.com/basement-wateproofing-essex-county-nj/ today.