While hurricane season only officially starts on June 1st, this year has already seen significant Atlantic storm activity. Forecasters are predicting the arrival of around 11-17 named storms (winds of 39mph or more), with five of those likely strong enough to become hurricanes with winds over 74mph. Here are some tips from your basement waterproofing company in Bergen County NJ on how to prepare your home and your family.
- Shutters and coverings: Window shutters and other coverings can provide great protection for your home from flying debris and wind, but only if they are installed correctly – otherwise, they may end up doing more harm than good. Always use approved products and have them installed and inspected by contractors with the correct permits.
- Have your roof inspected: Roof damage is the biggest reason for post-hurricane insurance claims, and even minor damage to your home’s roof can lead to extensive water and structural damage. Have a licensed contractor inspect your roof and ensure that loose roof tiles and shingles are secured, hurricane straps are installed, gable ends are braced and a backup water barrier is installed under the roof cover (if needed).
- Review your insurance: Check that your insurance is up-to-date and that you have sufficient cover for the season. Many people ensure for the value of their home, but may actually need more cover in the event that they need to rebuild, as construction costs are on the rise.
- Sump pump installation and servicing: Basement flooding is a very real possibility during heavy storms, so your sump pump needs to be operating efficiently. Call in your basement waterproofing specialists if you are concerned about basement flooding, and they will be able to recommend a new sump pump, repair your old sump pump or install a backup energy supply if needed. They can also evaluate your home for other potential leak sites and vulnerabilities, and provide professional basement waterproofing solutions.
- Prepare a disaster kit: In the event of an emergency, it’s useful to have a disaster kit in your home. Recommended items include a battery-operated radio, flashlights, extra cash, basic medical supplies like bandages and a space blanket, and a car phone charger. It is also recommended that you have a 3-day supply of food and water.
Expert, affordable sump pump installation in Bergen County, NJ
Bonded Waterproofing Systems is a family-run operation that has been serving the New Jersey and Bergen County area for more than 30 years, offering the latest in tested solutions and the industry’s best lifetime guarantee on our services. In addition to basement waterproofing, we offer mold remediation and removal, sump pump and French drain installation, dehumidifier installation and basement repair services. For more information, please contact us or visit our website at http://bondedwaterproofing.com/ today.