Storm season starts in June, with peak hurricane and tropical storm weather usually hitting around August to September, so now is the perfect time to prepare your home and property. Here are some tips from our basement waterproofing team in Staten Island, NY.
Secure Your Property
- Invest in permanent storm shutters of 5/8 inch marine plywood that is cut to fit for boarding up windows.
- Check your roof straps and clips and replace any worn items.
- Clear out gutters and downspouts to ensure water can run off your roof easily.
- Trim back trees and shrubs away from your roof and walls, and remove dead branches from other trees in your backyard.
- Ensure your basement is in good repair with no leaks or weaknesses in your basement walls and floor.
- Get your sump pump serviced and tested to ensure it’s in good working order, and install a back-up battery if you don’t have one to ensure it keeps working even in a blackout.
Check Your Insurance
Speak to your insurance representative about exactly how your coverage for hurricane and storm damage works, as there are many different policies out there. Make sure that your coverage is as full as possible, that it covers any new additions to your home, and that you know what your hurricane deductible is, as it could be as high as 5% of your home’s insured value (this is the money you’ll need to pay out-of-pocket before your hurricane damage is covered).
It’s also important to remember that hurricane and flood damage are covered separately, so you may need additional insurance in the event of flooding. Be aware that there is usually a 30-day waiting period before coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program will kick in, so it’s important to assess your options as early as possible in storm season.
Basement Waterproofing in Staten Island, NY – Results and Satisfaction Guaranteed
If you want to ensure that your basement is ready for storm season, it’s time to speak to the team at Bonded Waterproofing. We’ve been supplying basement waterproofing services in New Jersey and the Tristate area for over 30 years and we guarantee that our solution will really last – if it fails even as much as 50 years after we’ve completed our work, we’ll come in and fix it for free. We also guarantee that we will take great care of your property and thoroughly clean your basement so that you can start the next stage of your project as soon as possible.
In addition to sump pump installation and repair services, we also provide our clients with basement repair, French drain installation and mold remediation services. For more information, please visit our website at http://bondedwaterproofing.com/staten-island-ny-basement-waterproofing/ today.