Heavy rains and strong storms put our homes and businesses at risk each year – here are some tips from our basement waterproofing team in Morris County NJ on how to prepare for flooding and stay safe.
What to do Before the Storm
- Before storm season, have your basement evaluated for seepage and structural issues to reduce the risk of flooding and water damage.
- Clear gutters and downspouts and cut tree branches away from your roof and walls.
- Call your insurers and make sure that your policy covers flood and storm damage sufficiently.
- Test your sump pump to ensure it is in good working order and install a back-up source of energy to run it if the mains go down.
- Stay tuned to your local news broadcaster to get up-to-date information on storm and flood activity in your area.
- Pack a bag with all your essentials. Along with warm clothes, remember to pack medication, important documents, a first aid kit and bottled water. Ensure that your documents are in a watertight folder.
If Flooding is Immanent
- Bring in outdoor furniture and move essential appliances and belongings upstairs.
- Place a wall of sandbags around your home to divert water downstream and prevent debris from crashing into your home.
- Be ready to evacuate if instructed to do so.
- Fill your vehicle tank with gas and have a backup, transportable additional supply if you have space.
- Switch off your utilities at the main switch/valves if instructed to do so.
- Check on neighbors to see if anyone needs help, especially the elderly or infirm.
- Do not leave pets behind in a flood situation, even if they are on higher ground or upstairs. Have leads, collars, medication and pet travel equipment ready and waiting to take your animals to a local shelter outside the flood zone.
Need Basement Waterproofing in Morris County, NJ? We’re Here to Help
If you want to ensure that your basement is ready for storm season, it’s time to speak to the team at Bonded Waterproofing. We’re one of the top basement waterproofing companies in the New Jersey and the Tristate area for over 30 years and we guarantee that our solution will really last – if it fails even as much as 50 years after we’ve completed our work, we’ll come in and fix it for free. We also guarantee that we will take great care of your property and thoroughly clean your basement so that you can start the next stage of your project as soon as possible.
In addition to sump pump installation and repair services, we also provide our clients with basement repair, French drain installation and mold remediation services. For more information, please visit our website at http://bondedwaterproofing.com/basement-waterproofing-morris-county-nj/ today.